An unusual later war ‘duel’ infantry divisional sign representing the 59th and 61st Divisions.
Both were second line territorial divs, the 59th being disbanded after D-Day and the 61st in 1946, both being geographically ‘related’, in the midlands.
The 59th were involved in the D-Day landings, the establishment of beach heads and the capture of Caen. IT was then disbanded and its personnel distributed to other divisions.
The 61st spent much of the war in N. Ireland, returning to England in 1943 in preparation for mobilisation in N.W. Europe; it was however stood drown and used for training and drafting duties. It was later embarked for the Far East but with the collapse of Japan was again stood down.
The sign has evidence of wear. Both formations signs are of the economy WW2 printed type. It passes the ‘black light’ test with no modern materials used in its construction.